Which fish finder is right for you? Are you confused about how to choose a fish finder? If you have never used a fish finder before, you might not be sure which one you need. So keep reading this article as I try to outline the process in these six simple steps.
Related Post: Best Ice Fishing Fish Finders
#1, Choosing the Best Fish Finder for You
If you want to catch fish on your next fishing episode and subsequent ones to follow, then a fish finder is a great device to have. Nonetheless, choosing this device is not easy as there are several kinds of them in the market to choose from. When shopping for one of these devices, you will realize that the ones with lots of gadgets and extra features are pricier. But still, your ultimate choice should be decided upon after considering the following things;
- Budget; the first step in choosing any device is determining your budget. How much do you have and how much are you willing to spend on a single device? The cost of fish finders varies depending on several factors. But before considering these factors, you need to decide upon your budget first.
- The depth of fishing; the depth rating is another thing that you must put into consideration when choosing a fish finder. Usually, it is advised that you go for a device that has a 10% more rating than what you need. As you consider this, remember that the cost of fish finders increases with the depth rating. However, the deeper the rating, the better penetration you will achieve with your fishfinder.
- Frequency; what is the use of a fish finder if it can’t find fish for you? None, I believe. Therefore, once you are decided on the budget and depth rating of the device you intend to buy, the frequency should be the next thing in mind. The right frequency, in this case, ought to be in line with your needs. And to know that you need to understand one basic rule of thumb; that while higher frequency transducers cover a small area, they tend to show greater detail and greater depths. The lower frequency transducers, on the other hand, give you a more prominent cone covering more space and are good in shallow waters. So choose the frequency that you are sure is best suited for your needs.
- Power; power is also something that you will want to look into when selecting the right fish finder for you. The power rating of the device is vital as it is what determines the device’s performance, clarity, and speed. Along these lines, you also need to consider the device’s power source. Decide whether you need a battery-powered device or one that can be plugged in. As you make this consideration, also remember to look into the battery life of the fish finder you want to buy.
- Display; now that you have a general idea of the type of fish finder you want to have, it is time to consider other essential factors like the display which is also vital in determining the effectiveness of the device. The first consideration in this regard should be the screen resolution. And just like the power rating, a fish finder with a higher display resolution will provide better clarity and accuracy of everything that the device can capture beneath the surface. Apart from the screen resolution, you additionally need to consider how well the display holds up in direct sunlight. Color screens are suitable for direct sunlight as they are simpler to see even amidst the lake and with a considerable measure of glare from the sun and reflection of the water. Therefore, when selecting a fish finder in consideration to the display, ensure that you look for one with a well-lit screen and one that offers high contrast ratios. If possible, you can as well test it out by looking at it under intense sunlight.
- Integrated GPS; a global positioning is an excellent additional feature in a fish finder. It will enable you to locate your precise location and mark waypoints which will not only help you record places where you find fish but also help you trace directions to getting there when next you want to fish at the same location.
- A GPS fish finder is an excellent device for people who like new adventures. Those that like to venture into new territories, lakes, and coastlines can use the GPS to mark locations and locate them when next they visit the place.
Other elements that should also be given significant consideration are the ease of installation, waterproof features, usability, and the device’s integration with the rest of your marine electronics.
Also, if you take fishing seriously, you might want to invest in a device with upgradable features. Such a device will allow you to spend a little now based on your budget and then upgrade much later to a higher frequency transducer.
Video: How to Fish: Tips for Choosing a Fishfinder
Video Credit: boats.com
As a fisherman, a fish finder can be a great addition and investment to your fishing equipment. Just think of how many more fish you will likely catch with the perfect fishfinder, how many exciting territories and locations you can explore, and how quickly you can get back to a great fishing spot in case you are forced to leave prematurely?
There are so many things that a great fish finder can help you accomplish in your fishing ventures. So just use this article as a guide to help you choose the perfect fish finder for your needs. As you do that, keep in mind that every point mentioned here is vital and it moves you closer to getting the kind of fish finder that will make your fishing ventures more fruitful, enjoyable, and safe. Also, feel free to share this article on how to choose a fish finder with friends and family that may find it helpful.