What comes to mind when you think of trout fishing?
For most people fly fishing is the first thing they think of. But while this fishing technique is popular and fun, it is not the only way to fish for trout. Also, check out the which baitcasting reel is the best.
Trout fishing using spinning gear is also effective and fun too especially if you are sure of your techniques.
In this article, therefore, I will take you through some of the things you should consider when shopping for the best spinning rod for trout fishing. I will also mention my 3 best trout fishing rods on the market right now.
How to Choose the Best Rod for Trout Fishing
Trout fishing is a fun sport all over the world.
Nonetheless, with so many accessories on the market, it’s hard to know what spinning rod is right for you.
So, how do you chose the best spinning rod for trout fishing?
The first thing you need to consider when shopping for a spinning rod is the size, which in this case is the length. As earlier mentioned, length is an essential element in trout fishing rod as it determined the ability of the rod to withstand the force exerted by the fish. Learn more about the best blue crab bait.
Also, you need to consider the type of fishing which in this case is light fishing. Yes, trout fishing is a form of light fishing. This need you to have a rod that is dedicated only to it, an ultra-light spinning rod.
You see, many anglers make the colossal mistake of using gear that is entirely too heavy for trout. Your trout fishing rod needs to be ultra-light action. Otherwise, you will receive many fewer bites from hungry trout than you should.
Besides size and power, the action is something you should keep in mind.
Action, in this case, is the rods ability to bend and how far back from the tip. It is what determines how well you can cast different types of baits and how the hook sets in the trout’s mouth.
Note that a fast rod will bend much closer to the tip while a slow rod will bend further away from the tip.
And while slow action rods work well for long distance casting, they are not the best choice for trout fishing-fast action rods are. This is because the fast action rods can easily flex which helps to identify when trout are biting and also help to hook the fish.
With these in mind, here are;
Our top 3 Picks of the Best Spinning Rod for Trout Fishing
1. St. Croix Trout Series Spinning Rods
The St. Croix Trout series spinning rods are great trout rods with impressive quality and design.
The 6’ rods come with great convenience and portability. Moreover, the rod is a fast action which means that it can quickly identify and hook fish. It also has a great feel and balance with most reels.
This Croix spinning rod is super sensitive but with plenty of butts to handle trophy fish.
- Has sufficient backbone to bring in more trout
- the cork and handle are comfortable to hold
- has great sensitivity
- thumbs-uphas a fantastic 5-year warranty
- Could be a little lighter
- A bit pricey
- The tip might be too stiff for small lures
- thumbs-downThe 8 eyelets kind of cause drag when casting
2. Okuma SST Ultra-Light Trout Spinning Rods
These Okuma SST ultra-light spinning rods are a good second when it comes to trout fishing rods.
They are made with the highest quality materials; IM-8 graphite for the rod blanks, stainless steel for the guide frames and zirconium for the guide inserts which also helps to reduce friction from braided lines.
Being a species and technique specific action rod, this is should be your ideal choice for trout fishing.
- Very sensitive and strong
- It is a super light rod with great action. You can backpack it.
- Features quality construction and with great balance too
- thumbs-upHas an excellent length for casting light lures
- thumbs-upProvides a firm grip on both the rears and forces
- A one year warranty may not be the best Okuma can offer
- The quality isn’t that great as it I prone to snapping
3. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
The Ugly Stik elite spinning rod is regarded by far as one of the best spinning rods for trout fishing on the market.
They are good quality, strong, and durable.
These rods feature an ugly tech construction which is light and provides for unbelievably sensitive.
Note that unlike most other spinning rods, ugly Stik elite rods eliminate the need for inserts which helps to reduce blank weight as well as reduce line wear.
- As the perfect rod length for casting light lures
- Available in a number of variations, lengths, actions, and power.
- Clear tip design provides added strength where you need it
- thumbs-upPremium cork grips provide for a firm yet comfortable hold
- It’s a decent quality rod but still prone to accidental damage
- Has a really poor design
Learn more in the following video:
The bottom line is that if you enjoy fishing for trout with spinning gear, the above spinning rods can be an excellent addition to your trout fishing arsenal.
They are excellent quality, super sensitive, and flexible rods that will help improve your trout fishing experience.