Vision is a physical sense that uses light to provide your brain with invaluable details of your target. The night vision goggles magnify the ambient light to minimize the issues associated with unassisted vision in complete darkness. It is important to highlight the additional abilities provided by night vision goggles.
See Also: 10 Best Crossbow Under $500
You can increase your chances of success hunting at night with the help of the best night vision goggles. Apart from having a clear view of your target; you also get to protect yourself from the surrounding by knowing where you step.
See Also: Best Shooting Ear Protection
Here is a quick preview of our top 5:
#1, Firefield Tracker 1×24 Night Vision Goggle Binoculars
#2, Armasight Vega Night Vision Goggle Gen 1+
#3, Yukon Nvmt 1×24 Head Mount Kit
#4, Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1×24 Night Vision Goggle Kit
#5, Pulsar Edge Gs Super 1+ 1×20 Goggle
Light Amplification or Thermal Imaging
As far as night vision technology is concerned, you are presented with two choices: light amplification or thermal imaging. Goggles that use light amplification operate by enhancing the low light of the moon and stars.
Light amplification ensures that the low-end part of the spectrum receives enough light, allowing you to have a better view of your target. On the other hand, goggles that use thermal imaging work by picking up the heat signatures of your target. A better choice between the two is thermal imaging goggles.
See Also: Best 22 Scope
This is a very important consideration that you must make when shopping for hunting goggles. You need a model that will guarantee a high-quality image. This means that high resolution, less distortion, and more details of the target. You should know that minimal distortion produces a flatter image. Night vision goggles deliver monochromatic green pictures.
Green is preferred because your eyes can distinguish images better than in other colors. The most ideal night vision goggles are those that remain sharp at the edges as well as at the center. Therefore, to obtain improved image quality, you need night vision goggles that can produce high resolution and high definition images.
See Also: Best Scope For Ar 15 Under $100
Gain & Range
You need goggles that can produce an enhanced image of your target regardless of how dark it becomes. Normally, your night vision ability deteriorates as your viewing distance increases and ambient light diminishes.
Therefore, you need goggles that enhance gain in low ambient light without necessarily interfering with image focus. You should know that some goggles use infrared light and longer lenses. These types of goggles are effective, but they do usually end up compromising clarity. So, make a wise pick.
You need goggles with an appropriate range. You need a magnification power of 1X and higher to be able to pick a target at a considerable distance. You would probably think a powerful and long lens can do the trick. Technically, a powerful and long lens will provide you with the desired range.
See Also: Top 10 Best 10×50 Binoculars
Regrettably, long lenses tend to perform poorly in complete darkness. In light of that, you should consider goggles that feature a high-speed lens that has moderate magnification power. Goggles with the high-speed lens can pick more light, and they offer desirable ranges along with higher gains.
Durability & Ergonomics
The ability of night vision goggles to deliver a clear image in low light and complete darkness is great. However, you need to go for a rugged design that will not only offer the best image quality but can also withstand hostile environmental conditions. You have to make sure that the design material that is crack-proof, weatherproof, and heat-proof.
Ergonomics goes hand in hand with durability. Apart from being weatherproof, your goggles must be easy to mount. They have to be lightweight as well as comfortable. This way you will not feel any added weight when you wear them on your head. So, make sure the headgear does not affect your skin in any way.
See Also: Top 10 Best Trail Camera Under $150
Top 5 Best Night Vision Goggles to Buy – Reviews and Comparison
- The 24mm lens system, 523m FOV, 30-degree angle of view, 1.0X magnification, infrared illuminator, 400m maximum viewing range, and 36 lp/mm resolution offer you maximum performance.
- Highly durable and good quality. Apart from being water-resistant, it comes with a comfortable head harness mount that you can wear contentedly for more than twenty minutes when hiking or trekking.
- Firefield Tracker harness head mount may give you a hard time before you get used to it.
- Highly versatile, you can use it with either your left or right eye.
- The reinforced composite housing is extremely lightweight and exceptionally compact.
- It’s equipped with adjustable headgear for more comfort and hands-free operations.
- Has less fish eye effect on the peripheral, and it needs a CR123 battery for its operation.
- The design is lightweight, compact, and rugged. Therefore, it stays in position ensuring that the image stays put until you hit your target.
- You get the best performance. You can navigate through the darkness and still pick your target as you would have intended to.
- Has a poor depth perception even though you can pick finer details after focusing the lenses.
- Offers high-quality resolution, high power IR illumination, and close-range focus.
- Ergonomic and durable design that is lightweight, weatherproof, and hands-free head mounts.
- Its performance surpasses the expectations of Gen 1 night vision devices.
- Needs constant adjustment of the focus, and has a limited lifetime warranty.
- The goggles offer continuous image quality of your target across the whole FOV. This is made possible by the CF-Super resolution.
- The CF-Super offers high resolution as well as geometric image precision that ensures an effective field of view.
- Your eyes are always protected when using the device. It is installed with tube protection that automatically ceases or reduces luminance once the threshold level is surpassed.
- The headgear mount is tighter, and it takes time to cool down after shutdown.
They were previously engineered for navigation during military missions, but they have gained popularity among hunters. The technology used by night vision goggles allows you to see visibly in low light as well as in complete darkness. All night vision goggles you can find in the market are resourceful and highly versatile, but you still have to choose the best with the help of this guide.
See Also: Top 5 Best Gun Safes Under $600